Monday, March 16, 2015

Lamp Commander




I haven't been posting for awhile, been kinda busy. I think I'll try to post some stuff on here in the next few days. One of the fun things I've bought is this remote voice operated voice switch, Lamp Commander. First you get Lamp Commander's attention by saying: "Lamp Commander!" Then you ask it to turn the lights on with "Lights On!". To turn the lights off you say "Lights Off!" and to dim the lights you say "Lights Dim!" There's a little wheel on the side to set the sensitivity.

Of course, Lamp Commander is kind of finicky. Sometimes he won't listen. Or sometimes he won't get it right, thinking you said "Lights Off!" instead of "Lights On!" Actually, part of Lamp Commander's charm is that he doesn't work right all of the time. My Dad and I have fun trying to mess up each other by "jamming" the other's commands with a well timed "AHHHHH!". "Don't listen to him Lamp Commander!!!"

Sometimes saying "Lights Onnie!" works better than just "Lights On!".


Lamp Commander responds to other commands too. I've found that "Abracadabra!" works just like saying "Lamp Commander!". "Hocus Pocus" works like "Lights Off/On" It reminds me of the Bugs Bunny merrie melodies cartoon "Transylvania 6-5000" where he gets Count Dracula to change from Dracula into a bat.



Abracadabra! Hocus Pocus!


and here's a video showing some other people having fun with lamp commander.

Great fun and really useful when your hands are full with a plate of food. Now all I need is "TV Commander" where I can change the channels, etc. I like the way they did it with Star Trek: Next Generation where they could tell the computer to "set the lights at 50%" or "Tea, Earl Grey, Hot!"

No comments:

Post a Comment