Saturday, October 3, 2015

Smart Label Pro - QBasic rendering



Finally got my Qbasic program to render the Smart Label protocol correctly.

I found a driver for the SLP440 and that uses the same basic protocol so it was just a couple of modifications to get it to work with that driver.

QBasic is so much fun to fiddle with. I like the immediacy and how it won't crash on you (most of the time).

It has some severe limitations though. Strings can only be so long and you can't declare massive arrays (I think 32767 is the limit of an integer array). I wanted to scroll the screen using GET and PUT but it wouldn't let me define an array large enough to hold a 640x480 16 color VGA screen. So I had to break it into smaller pieces.

If you're curious, here's the program.

SLP3.BAS.TXT

SLP_QBASIC.ZIP

No comments:

Post a Comment