Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Recycling an old monitor pivot mount

I always had this thing for pivoting monitors. There's something about using a vertical monitor that I always liked. So I had this old compaq 19" with a pivot mount that could be used with another monitor with VESA screw holes. Most pivot mounts I've seen are proprietary and are designed only for the monitor that they come with (like the Dell 1901FP for example).

After removing the 4 screws and transplanting a 22" widescreen presto, a widescreen pivoting monitor. The only problem is that the new monitor is LED and very light in comparison with the old one. The mount was balanced for a much heavier monitor and it tends to rise up to its maximum height.

It's not really a problem as long as I use it vertically. Maybe I'll drill a hole and stick a pin in it to keep it from rising.


Here's a couple of interesting articles about why you should use a vertical monitor.

http://www.dailydot.com/technology/vertical-monitor-setup/

http://mashable.com/2014/03/16/vertical-monitor/

No comments:

Post a Comment