Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Optiplex 390 and Ubuntu 16.04 multimonitor problems

A simple idea in theory, 4 monitors simultaneously doesn't seem to work at all. The maximum I've been able to do is 3 monitors, 1 on integrated VGA port and 2 on Radeon 6350 VGA ports out of the DMS-59 dongle.

If I disconnect the integrated HDMI port, everything seems to work properly. (All three monitors come up.)

I'll lose the mouse pointer or one the screens will just freeze (though displaying a static frame of the desktop) or the screen will go weird, and the displays control panel will do crashy things if I have all 4 monitors connected and enabled. Often when configuring the displays the X server will crash and get relaunched so I have to type my password to login.

I sure wish that someday this linux multimonitor will get fixed so that it just works. I guess I'll be happy with 3 monitors. (but that fourth port just sits there and taunts me: "c'mon just try it one more time")

No comments:

Post a Comment