Monday, January 22, 2018

Ejecting / Closing cd tray from the Keyboard Ubuntu 17.10


I was fiddling with the keyboard buttons and found the "stop" multimedia button on my dell keyboard would eject the cd tray. It's actually a dvd-rw drive but I'll always think of it as a "cd drive".

If you press stop, it will eject the tray, but pressing it again won't close the tray.

That seems horribly asymmetric.

What to do? The command "eject -t" will close your cd drive so why not add that to my keyboard settings.

So I just add a new custom shortcut in Settings/Devices/Keyboard, name it "CD Close", set the command to "eject -t" and bind it to "Shift+Eject".




Since it's a custom keystroke, you don't get the neat little graphic "eject" symbol in the On Screen Display.

Why don't they give the user the option of having a custom graphic symbol to display also? Oh well, I guess you can't have everything.




While I was fiddling, I thought, why not convert my "back" button to a screenshot command since I use that all the time:




and my suspend custom shortcut:

No comments:

Post a Comment