Saturday, February 27, 2016

Memory Upgrade weirdness

So I've been suffering with only 2GB on my optiplex 760 so I thought I'd upgrade it. I got 2x2GB corsair and plugged it into the open slots. It's supposed to support 8GB maximum so it should be able to handle this memory just fine.


Only it won't boot, chirp chirp chirp.

I took out 1 stick of the new memory and it booted fine.

So I put the other stick in and now it booted. Weird.

After running a memory diagnostic with memtest86 everything seemed fine. Now to run ubuntu. But I get graphical corruption, due to an "odd" memory size.


http://askubuntu.com/questions/527564/why-am-i-experiencing-visual-corruption-with-intel-x4500-graphics-card-on-14-04


I looked in the bios and it said that I was in "flex mode", not dual channel mode. The memory sticks are in the wrong slot combination for dual channel mode (there's only so many ways to put 4 sticks into 4 slots and I've got it backwards). Rearranging the sticks makes the computer not boot again.

I gave up on it after the umpteenth "unplug/swap memory/plug back in" cycle so now I'm running just the 2x2GB new sticks which is still an improvement.

More memory, less thrashing, tastes great, less filling.


No comments:

Post a Comment