Monday, February 22, 2016

Trying to get displaylink working under ubuntu - yay

Just for fun, I thought I'd see if my displaylink usb adapters would work under ubuntu 14.04. Sadly, after plugging it in it seems to have a lot of flashing led activity and ubuntu acts like it's aware of another monitor. However, the screen never comes up and the mouse gets very slow and stuttery.

I tried upgrading the kernel to the LTS Enablement, but it didn't make any difference.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

I even tried the drivers from displaylink's website.

http://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/684649-how-to-install-displaylink-software-on-ubuntu

I would love for it to work, but it just doesn't.... sigh... At least I can do dual monitors on the Optiplex 760 on the internal graphics with no problem.


edit: IT WORKS!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!

I just needed to reboot, and after plugging in the displaylink usb, it didn't have the led flicker storm as before. I was able to easily turn on the display in system settings/display and it comes up beautifully. Hooray!

The only strange issue is that the launcher bar won't show up on one of the screens, even if I specify that the launcher bar is on all screens.

Triple monitor goodness AT LAST!

No comments:

Post a Comment