Friday, June 26, 2015

Omron Pedometer HJ-720ITC

I like to use this pedometer to see how much I actually walk in a day. The Omrons have little accelerometers inside which are very accurate. It's so much better than the el cheapo pedometers that have a mechanical switch that audibly clicks when you shake it up and down. The omron works really well when you just drop it in your pocket. It also doubles as a pocket watch as it has a clock built in.

What I've found is a few things: I walk around 100 paces a minute. I average around 7500 steps/day which is around 3 miles assuming 2 feet per step, and it takes 75 minutes of walking to do it.

My all time record is something like 22000 steps, which is at least 8 miles. Man, was I tired.

I usually only wear the pedometer when I leave the house, so I probably get more steps than is recorded.

Since I keep it in my pocket with keys I worry about it being scratched, so I put some package sealing tape cut to size on the front to cover it. (Note: I use good package sealing tape like Manco that doesn't leave a residue when you remove it. There are horrible cheap package sealing tapes that leave the worst hard-to-remove reside on things.) I also put some scotch magic tape on the back to make sure I didn't lose the screw for the battery compartment, as I've done that before.

The only problem that I've had with it is that it has corrupted the memory once and I had to wait 41 days for that to resolve itself. I think it had to do with letting the battery run down. Now when I see that the steps aren't counting and the display shows --, I immediately either take the battery out (if I don't have a battery handy) or change it (if I do have a battery handy.) My theory is that it writes the data to flash memory when it rolls over at midnight and if it writes corrupted data to flash then it won't download properly.

Whoever wrote the downloading program, it would be nice if it could handle errors more gracefully than to just quit. It should be able to work around such an error and at least give you the option to skip the bad data.

I've had other omron pedometers and carried them simultaneously in my pocket and they're fairly consistent, within 5-10%.

If you want to read more about the omron, here's a few pages I've come across.


https://www.mattcutts.com/blog/my-favorite-pedometer-omron-hj-720itc/


http://blogannath.blogspot.com/2010/08/first-impression-review-of-omron-hj.html


http://omronpocket-pedometer.blogspot.com/2010/07/omron-hj-720itc-pocket-pedometer-with.html

No comments:

Post a Comment