Friday, August 7, 2015

DeluxePaint early source code released for Amiga

DeluxePaint always had a special place in my heart. From version 1.0 (which I remember had to be launched from a command line with "dpaint lo" or "dpaint hi"), to DeluxePaint II and DeluxePaint III, I spent so many hours with it.

The interface was absolutely groundbreaking. And every version got better.

The first time I saw DeluxePaint running on an Amiga I was gobsmacked. That's what got me to buy an Amiga. The color cycling waterfall. 4096 colors. 32 colors to choose from. 320x200 graphics. Wow. At the time, it blew everything else away.


The animation tools in DeluxePaint 3 were fantastic. I would wait hours to have a full screen perspective plane render an animation. Now, 3d hardware can do perspective planes in real time but back then what you could do with DeluxePaint 3 was friggin amazing. And on a stock 7.16 mhz Amiga.

Electronic Arts has released the source code for version 1.0 to the Computer History Museum.

I remember reading somwhere how difficult it was for Dan Silva to program the early Amiga, dealing with all of the bugs in the Amiga OS and the development tools at that time. But the end result was absolutely worth it.



http://www.computerhistory.org/_static/atchm/electronic-arts-deluxepaint-early-source-code/

No comments:

Post a Comment