Sunday, July 17, 2016

Ubuntu 16.04 on a Portege R400 works well

I got an old laptop Toshiba Portege R400 that had a bad hard drive. After getting a 1.8" ata100 hard drive on ebay, I installed ubuntu 16.04.



So far, no problems. Even the tablet stylus works. Sweet.

The biggest problem was making the flash drive to boot into the installer, as it doesn't have a cd-rom drive. So I fire up my ubuntu 14.04 machine and run Startup Disk Creator and supply the ubuntu 16.04 i386 iso file to write to the flash drive.

Upon reboot with the freshly fixed flash drive there's a funny text message, something like "gfxboot.c32:not a COM32R image".

typing help got me to an information screen.

hitting the TAB key lists all of the boot possibilities, like "live".

Despite the error message, I was able to get into the installer, can't remember exactly what I typed, as it started and I was happy.

By today's standards it's a bit slow and limited by 2GB ram but it's cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment