Saturday, August 13, 2016

Gas tracking spreadsheet

I like to track my gas mileage so I made up a spreadsheet to do it. Sure, there's a website at gasbuddy or fuelly but where's the fun in that?

column A is odometer
column B is gallons (to the third digit after the decimal e.g. 11.384 gallons)
column C is gas price per gallon
column D is total price: formula column B * (C +0.009) since the price is actually plus 9/10 of a cent
=B2*(C2+0.009)
column E is date
column F is gas station name and location
column G is to full: either the words "to full" or blank to indicate not filling up to full
column H is miles traveled: formula column A - last row's column A
=A2-A1
column I is mileage: formula miles traveled (column H divided by column B)
=H2/B2

and for another row, just use fill copy to copy the formulas down the page


I've been tracking my gas mileage for over 10 years, saving each receipt, writing the odometer down and then entering it into the spreadsheet when I get a chance.

If I don't put the receipt into my wallet immediately after getting it, I tend to lose the receipts.

I fill it to full each time, otherwise the simple calculation gives kind of wild results.

Once you have a year's worth of data, then you can make interesting charts. I like to make charts of odometer vs date and putting in linear regression lines and showing the regression formula.





so according to the linear regression formula y=11.825x - 370507 I've driven on average 11.825 miles per day or 11.825 * 365 = 4316 miles per year.

No comments:

Post a Comment