Friday, September 25, 2015

knoppix 7.5 and testing memory

So I decided to put together a new system with 24gb ddr3 memory and I wanted to test the memory. Unfortunately, the knoppix 7.5 memtest boot option crashes on the AMD 760G motherboard.

Why not make a huge file in the knoppix ramdisk and run a badblocks on it?

dd_rescue /dev/zero ~/gigafile -m 20G

to make a 20 gigabyte file, but it fills up the memory before it gets to 20GB.

badblocks -w -s ~/gigafile

to run a check on the big file.

Nota Bene: be careful with dd_rescue and badblocks. I remember this time I was a little careless with the parameters and wiped my hard drive...good thing I had a backup.

Man, do I love having lots of memory. I think it was processing at around 2.5 GB/sec.

My first attempt at making a huge file was in the temp directory /tmp/gigafile but it wouldn't let me make a file larger than about 2GB in /tmp.

Now if I can figure out how to put this thing in standby. "sudo pm-suspend" suspends it but it comes out of suspend immediately...

No comments:

Post a Comment