Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Ubuntu 14.04 keep losing sound

Ubuntu 14.04 is pretty good but for some darn reason I keep losing the ability to hear sound with my Optiplex 760. I fiddle with the sound control panel, changing volume and devices and often I can get it back.

It seems to happen coming out of standby frequently.

Maybe a usb audio adapter would fare better.

I got a Vantec USB audio adapter that ubuntu detects as "CM106 Like sound device" and it plays audio just fine, but sometimes it won't play sound. I can see the blue led flashing on it that indicates activity (it's solid blue when it's not doing anything) but there's no sound and no fiddling will make it come back. (The blue led is the brightest led I have ever seen, it's like a laser when it catches your eye straight on)


It's like there's no volume or something. I won't hear anything when clicking on the Test Sound buttons in the Control Panel.

Unplugging the USB audio and replugging seems to fix it.

After dozens of times fiddling with the sound I just want something that works the first time and every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment