Friday, June 24, 2016

Photobooks at Walgreen's

I like to make photobooks at walgreen's online photo system. My workflow is this: I use MS Publisher 2000, print to a 300 dpi JPG using a ghostscript jpeg printer, then upload the JPGs to the online system. What drives me crazy is a couple of things:

Publisher 2000 doesn't like big files (like 300+ megabytes). So I break it into smaller documents of 4 or 5 pages.

Ghostscript likes to print things portrait-ized. The photobooks are landscape 8x10. So my layout is landscape but when they print with ghostscript it's rotated to portrait. So for each photopage I upload I have to manually rotate and crop it. This gets really monotonous and irritating after awhile. I suppose I could break down and figure out how to get imagemagick to do the rotation for me.

Then I can't get the pages in the original order. There's really no way to tell what the filename of the original photo is once you upload it to the system. So the pages get out of order.

But the output looks great. If you can suffer through the flaws, the results are really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment