Friday, April 24, 2015

Supercomputer on your desktop

There are a few things that I thought I'd never see. One is that I'd have a supercomputer on my desktop. Gigahertz speeds, gigabytes of ram, fast 3d video, terabytes of hard disk space, and network connectivity to the global internet.

30 years ago it was all theoretical but Moore's law turned it into a reality.

Most importantly, it's all cheap. Anyone can afford a computer now. Heck, your smartphone is basically a portable supercomputer. It's truly the democratization of computer power.

I remember flipping through a computer magazine back in the 80s with pictures of an Evans and Sutherland flight simulator, dreaming of how awesome that would be. Now, flight simulator software is commonplace.

A computer faster than a Cray supercomputer of old sits on my desk.

64 kilobytes to 64 gigabytes, that's like a factor of 1E6 (a million times improvement)

No comments:

Post a Comment